IP V6 overhead

Thomas Schaefer mail@thomas--schaefer.de
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:57:24 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 28. Februar 2002 18:06 schrieben Sie:
> Hello,
>.... the overhead is 78 bytes (IP, UDP, RTP, L2
> & L1). With IPV6 the overhead will be much larger because of the IP address
> fields.
> So we will reach a situation where the overhead will be much larger than
> the payload and the required bandwidth will be increased.

The header size is only 20 Bytes more (twice of ipv4 header). You are right -
for short packets - the ratio payload/wholepacketsize  is worse.
But in your example:
160/(160+78)=0,67
160/(160+98)=0,62
I think both the new and the old value are not very nice.

Regards,
Thomas Schäfer