remove

Raju Mathur raju@linux-delhi.org
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:30:14 +0530 (IST)

    Sandy> acwest-6bone@mail.bdkw.yi.org wrote:
    >> In the case that these requests are not bogus, it migh make
    >> life simpler if we have a default footer with remove
    >> instructions. On the one hand, the bandwidth cost would
    >> certainly be higher. On the other hand, the frustatration costs
    >> would be lower. Just a thought...

    Sandy>    The gripping hand is, those subscribers who are unable
    Sandy> to remember how to unsubscribe, and are unable to locate
    Sandy> the instructions they recieved when they first subscribed,
    Sandy> will probably also be unable to read the footer you
    Sandy> suggest.  But, it's certainly worth a try.  For me, at
    Sandy> least.  I've got a T1 and I don't mind the wasted
    Sandy> bandwidth.  Those paying per byte or per second for a
    Sandy> dialup may object.

After managing 4 lists with over 1500 subscribers, I can testify that
the number of literate people on any mailing list is close to zero.
Sure, they can see black-and-white patterns on paper/screen and make
words out of those patterns, but ask them to understand and follow
simple instructions and you may as well wish for, umm, something which
is impossible to obtain?

Regards,

-- Raju
--