[6bone] free transit

Hans Goes hgoes@eu.uu.net
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 07:52:45 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Pim,

> This will accept paths of exactly one AS, effectively eliminating all
> the stuff you get from your peers. If you don't want to have all the
> prefixes, the best thing you can do is request that your peer only send
> their and their customers routes (normally, this would be only one prefix).

Agree.. This is what we do. We use prefix-lists on the sessions and that
works fine. Had a discussion with Tiscali about this. Only negative thing
is when a customers expands we need to change the prefix-list.

> If they do not honor your request, I think you should remove peering. By
> the way, at AMS-IX (where you recently migrated from 1890 to 12702
> also), I don't see heavy transit either. Almost all of my peers send me
> only their own prefixes. I myself send all tunneled peers only the
> prefixes I learn at AMS-IX.

AMS-IX is properly configured ! All peers know what they are doing. With
tunnels it's mostly totally different.

> I think it's also time to stop building far-away tunnels. A rule of
> thumb might be: only tunnel to peering ASes. Making a tunnel from
> Amsterdam to California via 2 or 3 transit ASes is not what you want.
> The traffic will get there sooner or later without you (note: not you
> personally :) making an explicit tunnel to them.

Agree... But when are others killing tunnels ? A lot of users of the 6bone
were trying to get as many tunnels as possible. Totally nonsense !

> We might also want to start accepting only 2001:400::/23 prefixes from
> our ARIN peers, and 2001:200::/23 from our APNIC. This way, you cannot
> 'go to europe via america' in 2001::/16 land. I'm sorry to say that this
> will not hold for 6BONE, as these prefixes are allocated sequentially
> and not from supernets.

Good idea...

Hans Goes

WorldCom