[6bone] free transit

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:00:39 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 07:52:45AM +0000, Hans Goes wrote:
[..]
> > I think it's also time to stop building far-away tunnels. A rule of
> > thumb might be: only tunnel to peering ASes. Making a tunnel from
> > Amsterdam to California via 2 or 3 transit ASes is not what you want.
> > The traffic will get there sooner or later without you (note: not you
> > personally :) making an explicit tunnel to them.
>
> Agree... But when are others killing tunnels ? A lot of users of the 6bone
> were trying to get as many tunnels as possible. Totally nonsense !

Well - in the "early stages", this was about the only way to get
connectivity anywhere.  Build up manymanymany tunnels, and give everybody
free transit everywhere.

I still claim that this was a necessary part of the IPv6 bootstrap :-) -
but I also agree that this time is over now, and people should concentrate
on optimizing their links.

Setup *peerings* (not "transit relationships"), and try to build as much
native links as possible, only falling back to tunnels if unavoidable,
and *if* tunnels are used, watch out that you don't announce BGP routes
belonging to an unsuspecting third party...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  54136  (50279)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299