[6bone] 3ffe:3400::/24 / IPF/DE

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 17:44:41 -0800

Pim,

At 08:14 PM 12/3/2002 +0100, Pim van Pelt wrote:
>| A better question would be, why would nobody _reclaim_ the address
>| space after N months of inactivity etc...
>
>Perhaps we should add a point to RFC2772 that the pTLA should remain
>advertised (under normal conditions etc etc) at all times, and if the
>pTLA remains abandonned, that the 6BONE community may reclaim the
>allocation and return it to 'the registry'.

I agree that if a pTLA is unused for some period of time should be returned
to the pool. What the exact wording and length of out of service time
should be, I haven't formed an exact opinion on yet.

>I think there's quite some (nearly) dead pTLA deployments out there.
>
>A periodic check might not be that bad either. There's plenty of
>public LGs around to confirm the absence of a prefix. Also,  RIPE
>has just started the RISv6 project (I was their first peer, awww :)
>and we might be able to make use of that also, to detect things.

It would be great to have some automatically reporting tool that we could
use to evaluate what is no longer in use.

I am starting to request pTLA holders that I become aware are obviously not
using their pTLA for longer periods of time (months) to give back their
pTLA and reapply for a new one if they want another in the future (i.e.,
not just hold on until they change their plans).

Sounds like 3FFE:3400::/24 is a strong candidate to be reclaimed. I will
post an intent to reclaim this pTLA with a two week notice.

Thanks,

Bob