[6bone] 3ffe:3400::/24 / IPF/DE

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:55:59 +0100

Bob Fink wrote:

> At 08:14 PM 12/3/2002 +0100, Pim van Pelt wrote:

> >I think there's quite some (nearly) dead pTLA deployments out there.
> >
> >A periodic check might not be that bad either. There's plenty of
> >public LGs around to confirm the absence of a prefix. Also,  RIPE
> >has just started the RISv6 project (I was their first peer, awww :)
> >and we might be able to make use of that also, to detect things.
>
> It would be great to have some automatically reporting tool
> that we could
> use to evaluate what is no longer in use.

I was already collecting prefixes from the bgp dumps I got for the
Ghost Route Hunter* project. I'll grab the current pTLA list and
make a report page for comparing availability per pTLA along with
their origin AS. This also allows us to easily verify if the 6bone
object for that prefix corresponds with the AS it originaties from.
Ghost routes and misannouncements in there will also pop up :)

Notez bien that Gert Doering probably has a much bigger archive
due to his IPv6 routing overview's (www.space.net/~gert/RIPE/)
And that the ASPath tool can also quite clearly show which TLA's
can be found where.

The RISv6 tool unfortunatly only carries BGP entries from native peers.
So most parts of the 6bone space are probably not visible there. RIS is
more extensive than any other routing project though
and they keep histories and other relevant information like updates.
So it could proof very usefull if many ISP's hook up with it.

8<----------------
Found 19743 no, 0 short, 21 long ghosts.
Longest: 31
Prefixes: 436
--------------->8
The prefixes there also hold /48's and others which are localy
visible, but I'll filter those out for the pTLA list ofcourse.
The first line shows ASpaths btw. Doing a rough calculation
this would mean I got 45 paths for every prefix. Skimming through
it quickly reveals that most TLA's have about 65 paths available.
Spread over 9 BGP feeds, more are always welcome ofcourse.

> I am starting to request pTLA holders that I become aware are
> obviously not
> using their pTLA for longer periods of time (months) to give
> back their
> pTLA and reapply for a new one if they want another in the
> future (i.e.,
> not just hold on until they change their plans).
>
> Sounds like 3FFE:3400::/24 is a strong candidate to be
> reclaimed. I will
> post an intent to reclaim this pTLA with a two week notice.

Reclaiming is good. This will limit problems and we will be able
to identify them much better. But the availability of an AS
doesn't have to mean that the prefixes are available.
DIGITAL-CA for example _was_ only available to the 'old' prefixes.
eg 3ffe:3000::/24 (AMS-IX) could reach it, or better said they
knew where to find AMS-IX, but they didn't knew the way back to RIR
space. This can be seen in the https://www.sixxs.net/misc/latency/
graphs looking at the host.ipv6.pa-x.dec.com router.
But apparently it started pinging for Cybernet, Concepts and Intouch
now... so the upgrade worked out as they told me when I queried them.

Also IMHO 6bone should move to the RIR's ASAP.
(RIR space are paying people, no free transit -> better stability
blablabla, see those other threads :)

Awareness is a good thing.

Greets,
 Jeroen