[6bone] proposal for transfer of 6bone address management responsibilities to RIRs

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ JORDI PALET MARTINEZ" <jordi.palet@consulintel.es
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 19:07:40 +0200

Joao,

My point is competition. Next is an example, don't take me wrong.

We are, in the case of Europe, mandated to get our prefix allocated by RIPE.

That means that I'm subjected, I like it or not, to the RIPE rules, that not always are good for ALL the people.

For example, may be I don't need some of the services, but I need to pay the same fee as a bigger ISP.

My idea is to separate all these services from the REAL cost of the address delegation.

For example, consider a world where you have more competition and you can pay for this "delegation service" (not the address space)
from a number of entities, like in the case of a domain registration.

I'm sure the competition will keep the price down !

About the freedom, having address space for everyone means freedom, not subjected to NATs, and so on. But if this is not really
going to happen, the situation will be the same as today with IPv4. May be is a too much personal view ;-)

Regards,
Jordi

PS: I don't follow all the RIPE mailing list, not enough time for doing all what I will like to do ! If there is anything specific
on this subject, can you point me to the message thread, please ?