[6bone] proposal for transfer of 6bone address management responsibilities to RIRs

Joao Luis Silva Damas joao@ripe.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:48:11 +0200

At 18:37 +0200 23/8/02, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>Joao,
>
>I know this is hard to say, but I fully agree with Francis.
>
>We already had this discussion some time ago (12th September in
>Barcelona Task Force meeting).

Yes, I remember some "interesting" proposals in that meeting.

>One of the ways to promote IPv6 will be getting the address for free
>or for a REAL cost.

Interesting concept. I never thought of address space as having a price tag.

>I'm sure we can look alternative ways to delegate address space not
>involving so high memberships.

High as in: it is less than the Cisco 2500 in which you want to do the tests?

>And I'm ABSOLUTELY convinced it can be DONE with a lower price. I
>will prefer to be charged by each of the services provided by the
>RIR (that I need to pay nevertheless I use or not), instead of a
>single annual fee, with has only two levels.

Ok, I think I will leave that one for the members of the RIRs.

>That is causing the ISPs making REAL business with the address space
>(and I know you can say they charge for the services, but we
>can force them to provide this free of charge and charge for OTHER
>real services). The IPv6 address space MUST be a global resource,
>available for FREE.

IPv4 address space is available for free. You pay for the cost of
registration, DNS, whois, et,c not for the addresses.

>I always say IPv6 is FREEDOM, and following the same rule as in
>IPv4, it WILL NOT BE.

Not quite sure what you mean by this.

>If there is any proposal to delegate the IPv6 address space in some
>other way, to avoid this situation, I will volunteer to work in
>that.

I beg your pardon. Have you attended the lir-wg at the RIPE meetings
recently (or read the mailing list)?

Joao