[6bone] proposal for transfer of 6bone address management responsibilities to RIRs

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ JORDI PALET MARTINEZ" <jordi.palet@consulintel.es
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:37:01 +0200

Joao,

I know this is hard to say, but I fully agree with Francis.

We already had this discussion some time ago (12th September in Barcelona Task Force meeting).

One of the ways to promote IPv6 will be getting the address for free or for a REAL cost.

I'm sure we can look alternative ways to delegate address space not involving so high memberships.

And I'm ABSOLUTELY convinced it can be DONE with a lower price. I will prefer to be charged by each of the services provided by the
RIR (that I need to pay nevertheless I use or not), instead of a single annual fee, with has only two levels.

That is causing the ISPs making REAL business with the address space (and I know you can say they charge for the services, but we
can force them to provide this free of charge and charge for OTHER real services). The IPv6 address space MUST be a global resource,
available for FREE.

I always say IPv6 is FREEDOM, and following the same rule as in IPv4, it WILL NOT BE.

If there is any proposal to delegate the IPv6 address space in some other way, to avoid this situation, I will volunteer to work in
that.

Regards,
Jordi