[6bone] proposal for transfer of 6bone address management responsibilities to RIRs

Francis Dupont Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 19:16:22 +0200

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   >>>  "Organizations approved for receiving the standard /35 initial IPv6
   >>>  allocation will be charged an annual fee of $2,500 (US). For larger
   >>>  amounts of addresses, a fee of $20,000 (US) will be assessed.

=> unfortunately this is not true (or still false).

   >True, and the membership fees are purely based on cost recovery for the
   >services as the RIPE NCC is non-profit organisation. One of the things
   >that troubles me in Bob proposal is the mention of "minimal cost", unless
   >that means the usual membership fee of course.

   It means keeping the cost low to reflect actual cost of the service
   provided, which for the 6bone would be less than normal IPv4 allocation
   activity. However, the fee would have to be specific to the RIR as all the
   RIRs have their different rules/policies/procedures/culture/...

=> I believe you (Bob and Joao) are not talking about the same thing
and we (6bone community) shall fall into the "low fee" problem if
we agree to apply the transfer proposal.
BTW the enterprise/small LIR fees at 1800 euros per year (far more
than for a DNS entry for instance, i.e., far too much for the 6bone
community).

Regards

Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr