[6bone] proposal for transfer of 6bone address management responsibilities to RIRs

Philip Smith pfs@cisco.com
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:44:44 +1000

At 11:32 21/08/2002 +0200, Nicolas DEFFAYET wrote:

>If i must pay for get a IP address space, i will do for a sTLA, not a
>pTLA.

You have to pay to get IPv4, you have to pay for IPv6 global space. I guess
there could be an option not to pay for 3ffe::/16 space.

> > Independent of what? Why would having someone apart from Bob run the
> > address registry suddenly make the 6bone closed, non-free, and
> > non-independent? Even the IPv4 Internet is open, non-free and independent,
> > so please explain the problem you see.
>
>Independent of RIR.

Why?

>I provide free IPv6 services to a lot of users on 6bone, if i must pay
>for a IP address space, i can't provide this service free.
>Nothing cover my cost of bandwitch and time, i do this free services for
>the community.

This is similar to the infancy of the IPv4 Internet. I guess one option is
to simply keep the IPv6 network as a free play thing, and tell the people
who want to make money out of it to carry on using IPv4?

>6bone must be free, if not why keep 6bone ?
>You want kill the 6bone ?

I'm not clear how the proposed transition of the 6bone registry to the RIRs
has any relationship with the actual test network called the 6bone. Maybe
you can explain? I didn't see anything in the proposal that says "kill 6bone".

>A lot of project/ISP don't have a budget for that.

That's useful feedback for Bob and the RIRs, I think.

> > >Since 1996 it's free and it's workfine !
> >
> > What, the 6bone, or the 6bone registry? There is a difference.
>
>The both (pTLA + registry).

I didn't see any mention of the pTLA being withdrawn - there are quite a
few people who'd argue that it should be, but then as many argue that there
is still sufficient experimental work to be done.

But we are basically talking about whether potential 6bone candidates send
e-mail to Bob Fink, or send e-mail to the RIRs to get their /32 from
3ffe::/16 space? Aren't we?

cheers,

philip