[6bone] proposal for transfer of 6bone address management responsibilities to RIRs

Nicolas DEFFAYET nicolas.deffayet@ndsoftware.net
21 Aug 2002 11:32:08 +0200

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 03:54, Philip Smith wrote:
> At 21:03 20/08/2002 +0200, Nicolas DEFFAYET wrote:
> >On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 18:49, Bob Fink wrote:
> > >
> > > c)    In order to receive 6bone address services from an RIR as described
> > > here, each 6bone member must "join" that RIR, that is, enter into the
> > > appropriate membership or services agreement with the RIR.
> >
> >I'm not agree with that.
> >
> >appropriate membership = LIR ?
> >If yes, it's very bad; a lot of pTLA aren't LIR and a LIR can request a
> >sTLA, why a LIR will request a 6bone address space ?
>
> This is one discussion point. Bob says "appropriate membership" - it would
> be useful if you'd give opinions as to what that membership might be. Would
> certainly help the registries and Bob.

If i must pay for get a IP address space, i will do for a sTLA, not a
pTLA.

> >6bone must be open, free and independent.
> >A pTLA request must be free and without membership.
>
> Independent of what? Why would having someone apart from Bob run the
> address registry suddenly make the 6bone closed, non-free, and
> non-independent? Even the IPv4 Internet is open, non-free and independent,
> so please explain the problem you see.

Independent of RIR.

> Bob has run the registry for free for the last many years. He could have
> charged money for it, simply to cover the costs he has undoubtedly accrued.
> It's not unreasonable, is it?

I provide free IPv6 services to a lot of users on 6bone, if i must pay
for a IP address space, i can't provide this service free.
Nothing cover my cost of bandwitch and time, i do this free services for
the community.

6bone must be free, if not why keep 6bone ?
You want kill the 6bone ?

> >6bone address services must be free.
>
> This isn't an argument. Why?

A lot of project/ISP don't have a budget for that.

> >Since 1996 it's free and it's workfine !
>
> What, the 6bone, or the 6bone registry? There is a difference.

The both (pTLA + registry).

Best Regards,

Nicolas DEFFAYET