[6bone] pTLA request BUI - review closes 3 September 2002

John Fraizer tvo@EnterZone.Net
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 22:20:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Giacomo Cariello wrote:

> At 19.23 19/08/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >I don't see where testing routing routing softare requires a /32.  There
> >is no reason why you can't have multiple BGP peers, take full routes from
> >them all and announce your /48 to them tagged with "no-export".  I
> >recently posted a configuration example that addresses just this very
> >thing.
>
> It appears that our neighbour pTLA do not allow us to announce our /48
> through other pTLAs, so we're looking into obtaining a provider-indipendent
> address space and request peering with major IPv6 italian/european pTLAs.
> In our testing environment, we specifically need our annunce to reach the
> backbone through multiple paths (2 or possibly more).
>

> Giacomo Cariello, jwk@bug.it

TILAB won't allow you to announce your 48 (as no-export) to other BGP
peers?  I can understand them not wanting it in the DFZ but, what you and
your peers do, that remains isolated to the routing tables of you and your
peers is, IMHO, your business.

I still don't understand why your testing requires your announcement to
make it into the DFZ.  You said that you are testing routing
software.  It's easy to look at your peers looking glass and see if your
announcement is making it to that peer.  If you take full views from
multiple peers, you can verify that your best-path-selection process works
and test various methods of influencing that process.  "Experimenting" in
the DFZ that involves injecting/retracting a prefix/prefixes with any
frequency at all (something that I would expect if you're testing routing
software as you say) will have a negative impact on your reachability
because you'll be dampened.

Getting PI space from your RIR is a good idea, if you qualify.  I still
don't agree wanting to participate (in a testing capacity) in the DFZ is
justification for a pTLA.  Perhaps if TILAB won't allow you to experiment
with your /48 from them, you need to look for another pTLA that will.

In addition, TILAB needs to update their ipv6-site object.  It has not
been updated since 20010702 and it does not reflect their tunnel/bgp
session with your site.

---
John Fraizer              | High-Security Datacenter Services |
EnterZone, Inc            | Dedicated circuits 64k - 155M OC3 |
http://www.enterzone.net/ | Virtual, Dedicated, Colocation    |