[6bone] peering

Chris Hellberg odysseus@soa.co.nz
Thu, 08 Aug 2002 03:03:24 +1200

Hi,

I've got a ::/48 allocation from a tunnel broker which has been working well
for getting connectivity to and from the 6bone. However, I'd now like to get
in to some peering and exchanging of prefixes with others. However, under
ipv6 it's a lot harder due to strict aggregation rules.

Therefore, are the only people I can peer with are others who also have
similar ::/48's which are part of the same larger ::/28? If not, then is the
only way to be able to peer with others is expect your upstream pTLA people
to peer with the other pTLAs? Is the intention of an allocation from a
tunnel provider just a temporary thing before getting a prefix from my
upstream provider, so they're not really my addresses per se to annouce to
others? What's a generally accepted practice for this sort of thing? The
main problems is that it'll be many Christmases before many immediate
upstreams offer anything in the way of ipv6 allocations.

Also I'd be interested if anyone would be prepared to offer just a passive
6bone route feed?

We've got a mini-ix here in NZ peering with several other similar tunnel
allocations, but connecting these up to other tunnels would be ideal -
there's not much fueling the v6 growth in New Zealand.

Cheers,

Chris