[6bone] pTLA for Teredo testing

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 07:40:07 -0700

6bone Folk,

Trying to gauge consensus on allocating a pTLA to Teredo has been
difficult. There has been little support for it from the 6bone list, and
none against it, while most remain silent (unfortunately all too typical).

On the other hand, IESG comments have come from three members (Thomas,
Randy and Allison) that during the IESG review of Teredo at the end of
2001, it was determined that there were security concerns, and that they
think experimental deployment would be inadvisable until the newest Teredo
specification has been released and given a careful review by the IESG.

Given that the IESG is the senior technical review body of the IETF, I feel
that I have no prudent choice other than to go along with its wishes and
not allocate a pTLA for Teredo experimental deployment.

I try to be neutral in the pTLA review oversight role and simply try to
understand if there is a consensus. In this case, there was not much
comment one way or another, except for the IESG comments.

I hope that after the new Teredo draft (soon to be published by Christian)
has been reviewed by the IESG, and is found to no longer raise serious
technical concerns, that we can reconsider another request for a pTLA.

Thanks,

Bob