[OT] IPv6 applications in active use

Nathan Lutchansky lutchann-6bone@litech.org
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 23:07:25 -0400

--KIzF6Cje4W/osXrF

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 07:14:34PM +0200, Nicolas DEFFAYET wrote:
> [...]

Yes, it's geared for KAME though (natch) and it doesn't compile on Linux
without a lot of hacking.  I spent an hour getting the viewer to compile,
and just gave up on the server.

At any rate, most of my VNC connections are to Windows systems (tech=20
support and whatnot) so until the Win32 server supports IPv6, having an=20
IPv6-enabled Unix VNC package isn't much use to me.

> XFree 3.3.3.1: http://cvsweb.pld.org.pl/

Yuck!  I'm not recompiling the entire X package!  :-)

> I think CUPS too but i don't find the patch.

I haven't found a patch for CUPS.  If I get bored I'll write one.

Anyway, the point of my last message was that much networking software
really is becoming IPv6-ready "out of the box".  We've been able to patch
support into packages for a while, but that shouldn't be required.  I
should just be able to put a fresh Windows/RedHat/Debian/BSD install on a
machine, plug it into an Ethernet segment with an IPv6 router on it, and
have it WORK.  On *nix systems, we're very nearly to that point now.

> You can find a lot of informations about ipv6 support on (thank Peter
> for this excellent page, don't forgot to update it):
> http://bieringer.mirrors.fastnetxp.com/status/IPv6+Linux-status-apps.html

Yes, Peter does an excellent job keeping up this resource.  I send him=20
updates regularly.

> If many people want help me to build a FTP with all ipv6 patchs, ipv6
> apps patched, ipv6 docs, and more; please contact me.

Seems like the biggest problem that IPv6 catalogs have is that of becoming=
=20
outdated.  Peter Bieringer's site is the best one out there in terms of=20
tracking native and patched support in various apps and having up-to-date=
=20
information.

If you're serious about keeping a complete, up-to-date archive, good luck=
=20
to you.  -Nathan

--=20
| Nathan Lutchansky | lutchann@litech.org |  Lithium Technologies  |
|  I dread success.  To have succeeded is to have finished one's   |
|  business on earth...  I like a state of continual becoming,     |
|  with a goal in front and not behind. - George Bernard Shaw      |

--KIzF6Cje4W/osXrF

--KIzF6Cje4W/osXrF--