pTLA request for RMNET - review closes 23 April 2002

Robert Elz kre@munnari.OZ.AU
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 20:55:06 +0700

    Date:        Tue, 9 Apr 2002 23:06:59 +0300 (EEST)
    From:        Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>

  | An ISP from Italy has a tunnel and address block from VIAGENIE in Canada.
  | Is it just me or does there seem to be something really wrong here?

Depends upon what you see as being wrong.   It most likely isn't a
very efficient way to use the IPv4 internet - but with the 6bone
carrying comparatively little traffic, I really don't see that this
matters.

As far as simulating real IPv6 nets, it is just fine - ISPs everywhere
will get their connectivity from wherever it is cheapest (value for money
of course, so extra issues like delays incurred count), there's no
reason that either geographic or political boundaries should have any
real bearing on anything.   Imagining one (or several) giant exchanges in
the IPv6 world, where lots of random providers connect seems quite
reasonable to me.

Connecting to Freenet6 (VIAGENIE) tends to give good IPv6 connectivity,
as so many other sites also connect there.

kre