pTLA request for RMNET - review closes 23 April 2002

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 07:37:57 -0700

Pekka,

At 11:06 PM 4/9/2002 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>The application looks ok, I'll just want to point out something that may
>be worth discussing on a more global scale:
>
> > >    >1. The pTLA Applicant must have a minimum of three (3) months
> > >    >   qualifying experience as a 6Bone end-site or pNLA transit.
> > >
> > >We are connected to the 6bone since December 2001 with a /48 from
> VIAGENIE.
>
>An ISP from Italy has a tunnel and address block from VIAGENIE in Canada.
>
>Is it just me or does there seem to be something really wrong here?

What is wrong? Many times networks that want to get involved with
experimenting with IPv6 cannot find reasonable geographically located pTLAs
to support them with a prefix and a tunnel, so they go to freenet6. Part of
the reason to expand the pTLA base is to minimize this problem by creating
communities of interest with a pTLA of their own so they can then serve
their users in a sensible geographical way.

If you think there is something wrong with this, please say more.

Thanks,

Bob