Individual connections

ipv6@mediacentral.com.au ipv6@mediacentral.com.au
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 05:43:24 +1100

At 12:24 PM 23/02/2001 +0100, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
>Raju Mathur <raju@linux-delhi.org> writes:
> > Are there any ``dial-up friendly'' providers who'd permit me to
> > tunnel to them using a changing IPv4 address on the 6bone?
>
>Yes, they maintain "automatic tunnels".  freenet6.net is probably the
>first to put one in place but their allocation lasts 1 day only, if I
>remember correctly.

Unless Freenet6 has changed in the past 2 months, it use to be: they would
ping you twice a week, and if both pings failed they would removed the
tunnel. Freenet6 is a good place for testing short term, but they often
have internal problems, or get abused.

>   Uninett (somewhere in Norway) would assign a
>permanent tunnel for you and you would control it (up and down), but
>you need a fixed ipv4 address (you can probably manage that with your
>ISP).  There's another in Belgium, named Euronet*Internet at
>www.ipv6.euronet.be, of which I have no experience.

There is a list of the more popular tunnel brokers at http://hs247.com
(shamless plug) some are dynamic IPv4, others require perm connection and
static IP address. The recommended ranking comes from personal experience,
and user comments made about the tunnel broker.

If you can manage to get a static IPv4 address out of your ISP, you should
be able to use the country by country IPv6 provider list, to find your
closest uplink. The fact you use a dialup modem should not worry the
provider. After all it is a static tunnel.

>And then you have 6to4 public relay routers.  If you can't get a fixed
>v4 address then this is the way to go.  You need a FreeBSD or Linux or
>Cisco endpoint.  Your ipv6 address will change each time you dial-up,
>so you won't be reachable by others.

Microsoft run a public 6to4 relay router, which works regardless of OS
type. The IPv6 address in this case is made up of your IPv4 address, if you
have a static IPv4 address, your 6to4 address will not change.

Tom...