Requirements for joining the 6Bone

Piotr Zurawski szur@ix.renet.pl
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 01:43:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Chris Smith wrote:

> The document talks about building a configured IPv4 tunnel to the
> 6bone point of entry. This leads me to believe that to connect to the
> 6bone one must first be in possession of a static IPv4 address.
>
> Is a static IPv4 address a requirement of joining the 6bone?
> Is is possible for a dialup user with a dynamic ISP-assigned IPv4
> address to join the 6bone?

Tunneling is a sort of encapsulation, that is used, when you can't
just send desired protocol over a line you have due to some
limitations (eg. hardware is not capable). When talking about tunnels
in the context of 6bone, we usualy mean transfering ipv6 packets over
a ipv4 connection. But it's also possible to estabilish connection
without using ip tunneling. You can send ipv6 packets over ATM or
Frame Relay or anything else as long as your hardware supports that.
As you see, having ipv4 structure is not required to use ipv6
adresses.

It is possible to access ipv6 networks using dialup in at least three
ways (these are the ways I know):

 * Using dynamic tunneling (eg. updated via www interface)
 * Using 6to4 mechanism
 * Using ipv6 capable dialups. I've heard of one ISP in Nederlands
   with country-wide dialup that assigns both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses
   to the users.

--
Piotr Zurawski
szur@ix.renet.pl