IPv6 over ATM

Petri Bernhard Bernhard.Petri@icn.siemens.de
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 09:36:29 +0200

Hi Yann-Ju,

there is no specification in the ATM Forum which is dedicated
to IPv6, but I wouldn't expect any problems in applying the current LANE
and MPOA specifications directly.

The objective of LANE is to emulate an Ethernet/IEEE802.3 or
IEEE 802.5 LAN, so it should work with all applications expecting
to run over such a LAN.

MPOA provides a mechanism applicable to multiple "internetwork
layer" protocols. Within the definition of the term "internetwork
layer" in MPOA, IPv6 is listed as one of the examples
(among IPv4, IPX, etc.), and also the MIB lists IPv6
addresses as one of the applicable internetwork
layer address types.

Kind regards

Bernhard