(re)use of AS numbers in 6bone routing?

Joe Abley jabley@patho.gen.nz
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 16:12:23 +1200

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 02:16:29PM -0400, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> What I'm really looking for is a statement of the form "the use of a
> site's existing AS number to advertise its 6bone routes to the 6bone
> BGP4+ mesh will not cause trouble in the existing production ipv4
> Internet

That's right, as far as I know.

>, as long as you do _________"

I think that's right too, as long as you don't fill in the blanks
with anything :)

I believe that:

 + it is a requirement that ASNs used with BGP4+ to be globally unique
   (if used in a globally-unique context like the 6bone)

 + there is no requirement for IPv4 networks (constructed using BGP4)
   and overlaid/parallel IPv6 networks (constructed using BGP4+) to use
   different ASNs.

 + since the ASNs in use in the global Internet are already globally
   unique, they are good choices for use in a public IPv6 network,
   and this is what people have been doing in the 6bone.

I don't recall seeing this explicitly stated anywhere though. And
I might be completely mistaken in my assumptions :)

Joe