2010::/16 filtering

Craig Metz cmetz@inner.net
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 01:57:48 -0400

In message <4D0A23B3F74DD111ACCD00805F31D810145153E3@RED-MSG-50>, you write:
>>   Is it possible to make the 6to4 translator appear under
>> your legitimate
>> prefix?
>>
>>   I don't think it's a good idea to let every "hey, I'm
>> testing a new service,
>> so please let me advertise a huge prefix" request happen;
>> that will just lead
>> us to a bad place.
>
>6to4 has been accepted by the ngtrans WG as a valuable tool. There are
>already two interoperating implementations that I know of. The logical next
>step is to setup and start testing a 6to4 relay router. I think it makes
>sense to do this using the real 6to4 prefix - otherwise we'll need a
>transition from the temporary 6to4 prefix to the real 6to4 prefix. That
>would be a bad place.

  Without some care to get the routing configuration done right, when that
second implementation's author wants to also advertise the prefix on the 6Bone,
bad things could happen. I'm no BGP wizard, but I think that it might be clever
to grab a private-use ASN and to advertise all instances of this special prefix
out of that ASN. Can someone who is more of a routing geek than I confirm or
refute this?

									-Craig