IPv6 multicast on the 6bone

Francis Dupont Francis.Dupont@inria.fr
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 15:07:11 +0200

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   I would like to find out more about the current state of IPv6 multicast
   routing on the 6bone?

=> there is no IPv6 multicast routing on the 6bone because of the lack
of it on Cisco routers...

   My understanding is that very little
   implementations of IPv6 multicast routing protocols (e.g. PIMv6) exist.

=> We ("INRIA") have a PIMv6 DM which seems to be now uptodate and fixed
(even a little tested :-). I know there are other PIMv6, even some partial
Sparse-Mode (KAME, Telebit DK, ...).

   Our site connection to the 6bone is done through a Cisco IPv6 router.
   Cisco has currently no provision for IPv6 multicast routing.

=> this is the reason why IPv6 multicast routing is not used.

   If I wish to test an IPv6 multicast application on the 6bone, is it
   possible at all through tunneling?

=> DVMRP has no IPv6 reason and tunnels defeat RPF checks then this is
not a really usable solution...

   Are there any package such as mrouted (used on
   the mbone) that has been ported to IPv6? What are the current solutions
   to forward IPv6 multicast on the 6bone?

=> avoid Cisco routers or wait for IPv6 multicast in IOS... (:-)
I believe IPv6 multicast will not be used on large scale before several
months.

Regards

Francis.Dupont@inria.fr