Multi homing & NLAs.

Peter Tattam peter@jazz-1.trumpet.com.au
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 14:20:47 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> I don't think we should worry about the singly addressed
> version of multihoming. There's no reason to, since we can use
> multiple addresses.
>
> I think that a PASTE-like mechanism resolves the failover
> problem that Perry was worrying about. And surely nobody writes
> serious apps that depend on long-term TCP sessions surviving?
> If you need that kind of assurance you build it into the app.
>
> I take Jim's point that in some situations address selection
> can be pretty subtle and it should be/must be addressed in its
> own document.
>
> But please let's not try and solve all this by tweaking the
> address allocation policy. We have running code proof that
> this is a broken solution.

I fully understand and would not realy want to alter it.  However to
sustain the policy,  we need to solve the source address problems.
Firstly selection of source address which appears to be manageable, and
secondly modifying the source address of long running tcp connections.

I stand by my firm opinion that it is not acceptable to insist on higher
layers having to reestablish a tcp connection in the case of a network
outage.   It will cause significant disruption to a wide array of existing
applications that rely on state information being bound to the tcp/ip
connection.

By solving one problem, we create a problem elsewhere in the IP framework.
I don't believe this is progress, and if enough people perceive the issue
in the wrong way.... well, I'm not going to say any more as I will get
blasted again.

Peter