ideas for automatic tunnel configs

Peter Tattam peter@jazz-1.trumpet.com.au
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 16:28:28 +1000 (EST)

In the interests of increasing the ease of getting customers to hook up to
the 6bone, I am planning to build both ends of a tunnel client/server
mechanism.

Are there any places where I could start apart from the obvious RFC on
IPv6 tunnels?

I guess what I'd need would be a way to manage the tunnel end points
automatically without need for configuration.  Perhaps a higher layer TCP
or UDP protocol that would establish the tunnel and manage it.  Or perhaps
a special keep alive packet that could be sent to a tunnel concentrator
that would keep the tunnel open.

While there could be security implications with tunnel hijacking under
such a scheme at this early stage, the benefits of being able to
automatically hook up to the 6bone could outweigh the risks.

--
Peter R. Tattam                            peter@trumpet.com
Managing Director,    Trumpet Software International Pty Ltd