Multi homing & NLAs.

Brian E Carpenter brian@hursley.ibm.com
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 02:24:47 +0100

I don't think we should worry about the singly addressed
version of multihoming. There's no reason to, since we can use
multiple addresses.

I think that a PASTE-like mechanism resolves the failover
problem that Perry was worrying about. And surely nobody writes
serious apps that depend on long-term TCP sessions surviving?
If you need that kind of assurance you build it into the app.

I take Jim's point that in some situations address selection
can be pretty subtle and it should be/must be addressed in its
own document.

But please let's not try and solve all this by tweaking the
address allocation policy. We have running code proof that
this is a broken solution.

    Brian