GSE, future of Ipv6

Bob Fink rlfink@lbl.gov
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:31:03 -0700

Peter,

At 10:46 AM 9/10/98 +1100, Peter R. Tattam wrote:
>I had a read of draft-ietf-ipngwg-esd-analysis-02 last night with some
>interest.
>
>I have also browsed some of the more recent drafts if IPv6, and have noticed a
>trend towards the concepts of GSE - am I right?
>
>A few comments...
>
>1) It is quite a paradigm shift, and takes a little bit of thought to grasp
>the full issues, although if it could established, I can see some clear
>benefit.  However getting the rest of the world to agree on the paradigm shift
>might set the development of IPv6 back a few more years.
>
>2) As I need to plan future development of our products, having a clear
>direction of what has to happen vs what would be nice to happen are needed to
>make decisions on that future development.
>
>3) What are going to be the trends of global routing over the next year or so.
>
>4) Is the paradigm shift needed yet, and will it's implementation slow down
>the rolling out of IPv6?

GSE/ESD (previsously known as 8+8) is an older work that is documented because of it's useful background info (we hope to turn it into an Info RFC so it doesn't get lost).  The Aggregatable Unicast Address structure is partly the result of  this work and much evolving thought.

So I would suggest looking at:

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2374.txt  Aggregatable addressing

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-tla-assignment-05.txt TLA/NLA rules

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-router-renum-04.txt Router Renumbering

and then ask some specific questions.

If I've missed your question, please say so.

Thanks,

Bob