Trumpet Winsock 4.1 IPv6 (Beta 1)

Peter R. Tattam pete@trumpet.com.au
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:28:18 +1100

Just posted this to our trumpet.announce newsgroup.

Feel free to try it out and send me your feedback.  Of special interest to
those on the list is my attempt at IPv6 to IPv4 address translation.
This allows one to use existing IPv4 apps running over winsock to access the
IPv6 network.  For e.g., I am able to use regular IPv4 Netscape to browse any
of the IPv6 web sites that are out there.

My apologies for the minimalist approach, but I'm doing a proof of concept at
the moment.

The next in list to be done is Address Autoconfiguration, and making the
resolver work with IPv6 DNS servers (It does understand AAAA records mind you
- read the readme)

Enjoy!!!

Peter

From: peternews@trumpet.com.au (Peter R. Tattam)
Newsgroups: trumpet.announce
Subject: Trumpet Winsock 4.1 IPv6 (Beta 1) - BETA TESTERS ONLY
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:21:25 +1100

IMPORTANT:  This is not a production release and as such our tech support
lines are not obliged to respond to questions relating to this release.  All
enquiries regarding this beta release should be sent to me
(peternews@trumpet.com.au) or posted in trumpet.feedback until further notice.

I'm posting this mainly to give explanation to people are wondering what
the new beta is about.

Now down to business.

Location:

        ftp://ftp.trumpet.com/winsock/beta-4.1/twsk41b1.exe             USA

or

        ftp://ftp.trumpet.com.au/winsock/beta-4.1/twsk41b1.exe          AUS

This is pretty much a work in progress, but I'd like to get as wide a coverage
as possible.  I'd also like to discontinue the 4.0 source tree.  All future
Trumpet Winsock enhancements will be made to the 4.1 beta tree.  I have
designed it so that the IPv6 stuff can be completely compiled out should there
be a problem.

Trumpet Winsock beta testers...  please check that I haven't broken any of the
IPv4 functionality.  There was a bit of radical surgery required to graft
in the IPv6 support.

It is basically 4.0C with IPv6 enhancements.

Note:  The IPv6 support is only for those who can make reasonable use of it.
You will either have to have an IPv6 enabled network or apply for your site to
be hooked to the 6bone.  Until widespread deployment happens, availability of
IPv6 connectivity may be patchy.

You can find more about the 6bone at http://www.6bone.net.

There is a readme which provides additional information about the enhancements.

Peter

--
Peter R. Tattam - Managing Director
Trumpet Software International Pty Ltd.