which BGP4+ used

Pedro Marques roque@cisco.com
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:19:58 -0700 (PDT)

    Masaki> Kunihiro and Pedro, Thanks for letting me know. I haven't
    Masaki> seen the -00 version, so I got confused. I'm still writing
    Masaki> this by analyzing a BGP4+ packet I'm receiving rather than
    Masaki> looking at the -00 version. So, the following differences
    Masaki> may not cover all.

    Masaki> 1) There is a length field, NLRI Length (2 octets) in
    Masaki> Kunihiro's explanation, which doesn't exist in the -01
    Masaki> version.

Yes. Those fields where removed in the -01 version.

    Masaki> 2) The Length of Next Hop Network Address (1 octet) in
    Masaki> MP_REACH_NLRI (Type Code 14) has a value 32; A
    Masaki> global-scope address (16 octets) and a link-local address
    Masaki> (16 octets) follow.

This is not a question of what the bgp-multiprotocol draft defines but
what a separate document, on IPv6 information over BGP will define.

This document will be based on the section on IPv6 in
draft-bates-bgp4-multiprotocol. If you look at that section you see when
the nexthop should consist of one or two ipv6 addresses.

The ipv6-bgp draft should be availiable soon.

    Masaki> Does 6bone has a plan to migrate to the -01 version?

You might not be able to make a "plan" as it depends on the availability
of code from vendors...

  Pedro.