which BGP4+ used

Masaki Hirabaru masaki@merit.edu
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 09:55:43 -0400

Kunihiro and Pedro,

Thanks for letting me know. I haven't seen the -00 version, so I
got confused. I'm still writing this by analyzing a BGP4+ packet
I'm receiving rather than looking at the -00 version. So, the
following differences may not cover all.

1) There is a length field, NLRI Length (2 octets) in Kunihiro's
explanation, which doesn't exist in the -01 version.

Both MP_REACH_NLRI (Type Code 14) and MP_UNREACH_NLRI (Type Code
15) have this 2 octets length field right before Network Layer
Reachability Information (variable) or Withdrawn Routes
(variable), respectively.

2) The Length of Next Hop Network Address (1 octet) in
MP_REACH_NLRI (Type Code 14) has a value 32; A global-scope
address (16 octets) and a link-local address (16 octets) follow.

I think that in the -01 version, next hop address should be one.

Kunirhiro, my BGP4+ code is based on the same one Gated has.  I
need to connect the 6bone with BGP4+, so I have no choice at the
moment. So, probably I'd better put some configuration option to
switch a version depending on a peer.

Does 6bone has a plan to migrate to the -01 version? I don't
think there is any version information to distinguish in BGP4+
OPEN message, so I think we may need to have a schedule if we
want to update. Anyway, thanks. I'm clear now.

Masaki