Request for tunnel

Bob Fink RLFink@lbl.gov
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 08:25:09 -0700

Randolph,

At 3:50 AM -0700 10/16/97, Randolph C. Nicklas wrote:
>>Is the vBNS connecting, or NLANR?
>
>	NLANR could use the vBNS to reach other 6bone routers--for example,the
>	vBNS peers with ESnet at SDSC, as well as other locales. I would like
>	to think of the NLANR/SDSC routers as the first vBNS IPv6 routers,
>and note
>	that all five vBNS Supercomputer Centers (SCCs--SDSC, NCAR, NCSA, PSC &
>	CTC) have IPv6 router h/w (FDDI-attached P6s).
>
>	Iddo--it is important that we coordinate our efforts on deploying IPv6
>	in the vBNS.

I very much like the idea of having vBNS as a multi-site 6bone backbone
site as it will provide better performance and connectivity AND help us
gain experience with the new AGGR addressing.

>>If vBNS would like to join, I can issue a pTLA.
>
>	Yes, we would, and a pTLA for the vBNS would be welcome, as would
>advice
>	on an IPv6 addressing plan for the vBNS.
>
>	At ISI's recent IPv6 conference in Arlington, Greg Miller & I put
>forward
>	our plans to deploy three native IPv6 routers (Bay Area, Chicago,
>and DC
>	area) on the vBNS, connected together with dedicated ATM PVCs, and
>accepting
>	6bone traffic via ATM PVCs (from vBNS SCC and University sites as
>well as
>	through the ATM NAPS) and tunnels (again, from vBNS sites and any
>of the
>	NAPs). It will be 1Q98 before the routers are installed in the
>relevant MCI
>	terminals. We are considering both TRAIL routers as well as Ciscos,
>but we
>	want the WAN links to be IPv6 over ATM.

I really like the prospect of vBNS moving native IPv6.  Let's get going
right away with the tunneled version so you can move your plans along.

I will assign a pTLA for vBNS (let's call it vBNS) if you will register
with the 6bone registry (a requirement for 6bone participation).  You can
read the documentation at:

	http://www.6bone.net/RIPE-registry.html

and I have enclosed my 6bone registry entry registration email for convenience.

Then you should create a MNTNR entry (MNT-VBNS) so I can delegate the
inet6nun pTLA to you using it (also see example below).

As for an addressing plan, let's try to get the mail list to comment. I'll
also suggest something later on.

But for now...get registered and I'll assign your pTLA.

Welcome aboard!

Bob