Literal addresses in URLs - 'splain to me

Rick Osborne osborne@gateway.grumman.com
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:02:52 -0400

I would like someone to explain to me exactly why disallowing literal
addresses in IPv6 URLs should not be allowed.  (Kind of a double negative,
sorry.)  I mean, I'm advocating that we bar them from URLs and nothing
else.  Typing "ping aaaa:bbbb::cc:d" from a console or anything is just
fine, but why work so hard to find a way to use them as URLs?  I'm just not
seeing it ...

-- Rick Osborne <osborne@gateway.grumman.com>
Are you trying to tell us that you get up incredibly early, just to spend an
hour reading news and not having any breakfast? [...] I'm aghast that any
human being would ever leave the sweet arms of Morpheus, unless forced to by
powers beyond his control.
- Dan Sorenson