Request for tunnel

Randolph C. Nicklas rcn@mci.net
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 06:50:50 -0400

Bob & Iddo,

Please our (vBNS Engineerings) comments below.

					Thanks,
					Randy

At 01:50 PM 10/15/97 -0700, Bob Fink wrote:
>At 9:07 AM -0700 10/15/97, Iddo Jambi Ganbar wrote:
>>
>>   hi
>>
>>   we're interested in connecting the vBNS (from SDSC to start with)
>>   to the 6bone. We're using FreeBSD2.2 with the CAIRN IPv6 code,
>>   a sparc (solaris2.5.1) and possibly a Linux box.
>>   I can't tell from the list who might be best located,
>>   do the ESnet connections come down to San Diego?

	The vBNS is ATM-connected to ESnet at SDSC via General Atomics,
	over which we BGP4--peer.

>>   If anyone knows a more topologicaly sensible place for
>>   us to tunnel to, please holler --

	Iddo--have you given any thought to using one of the supported
	ATM adaptors in your NLANR P6 host? Why?--see below.

>ESnet's 6bone router is in Berkeley.  Barring that, it's not a bad place to
>connect for your purposes.  ISI-LAP, 3COM, Cisco and Digital-CA are quite
>reasonable west coast points as well.
>
>Is the vBNS connecting, or NLANR?

	NLANR could use the vBNS to reach other 6bone routers--for example,the
	vBNS peers with ESnet at SDSC, as well as other locales. I would like
	to think of the NLANR/SDSC routers as the first vBNS IPv6 routers, and note
	that all five vBNS Supercomputer Centers (SCCs--SDSC, NCAR, NCSA, PSC &
	CTC) have IPv6 router h/w (FDDI-attached P6s).

	Iddo--it is important that we coordinate our efforts on deploying IPv6
	in the vBNS.

>If vBNS would like to join, I can issue a pTLA.

	Yes, we would, and a pTLA for the vBNS would be welcome, as would advice
	on an IPv6 addressing plan for the vBNS.

	At ISI's recent IPv6 conference in Arlington, Greg Miller & I put forward
	our plans to deploy three native IPv6 routers (Bay Area, Chicago, and DC
	area) on the vBNS, connected together with dedicated ATM PVCs, and accepting
	6bone traffic via ATM PVCs (from vBNS SCC and University sites as well as
	through the ATM NAPS) and tunnels (again, from vBNS sites and any of the
	NAPs). It will be 1Q98 before the routers are installed in the relevant MCI
	terminals. We are considering both TRAIL routers as well as Ciscos, but we
	want the WAN links to be IPv6 over ATM.

>Else it might be best just to take a delegation from an existing pTLA
>(e.g., from the list I gave above).
>

>Thanks,
>
>Bob

Randolph C. Nicklas