a new 6bone diagram

Bob Fink LBNL RLFink@lbl.gov
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 09:19:50 -0800

Robert,

At 8:20 AM -0800 1/17/97, Robert Watson wrote:
..
>> I've recognized that this is a "sales" diagram as much as it is useful
>> info.  But there is a limit on what I can and should represent with it.
>
>    As a "sales diagram" for IPv6 this map down plays the size
>    of the 6bone, but I don't see how it could continue to grow as it was.
>
>    So maybe it's time to split it into regions (e.g. Americas,
>    Europe/Afria, Asia Pacific etc) which will give new-comers a better
>    impression of the world-wide interest in IPV6 (not just a US concern)
>    and will help joining-sites to locate a suitable second tier transit
>    router to connect to.
>
>    This might also allow more detail to be added to the
>    core <-> Second level connectivity (which will help with problem
>    solving) and support the three-tier structure Alain was proposing.

Thanks for the comments.  I believe that we need to have much discussion on
the topology/routing/addressing of the 6bone and that the map will follow
this discussion.

In the interim, I want to keep to a single page diagram as long as possible
for simplicity sake.

Unfortunately, at this time, there are many out of region 6bone connections
that would be hard to diagram in a regionally based picture.  For example,
Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and other non-US locations are source out of NRL
and Cisco.  Though maybe I can be creative with some map background pointer
stuff -  will think about it.

It may be we should also have some other mechanism to show folk about
hooking up and how international we are, i.e., other pages than this.  Oh,
almost forgot, the NASA VRML-based pics already show the international
flavor by way of their regional and world globe pictures.

At any rate, I do need to get a picture up soon that reflects current state
of the 6bone.  I've received various positive comments about this form of
diagram, so will put it up in replacement of the out of date one early next
week.

Thanks,

Bob