(IPng 2899) multiple 6bones - 6bone preference routing....

Bob Fink LBNL RLFink@lbl.gov
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 09:48:55 -0800

Jon,

At 1:20 AM -0800 1/17/97, Jon Crowcroft wrote:
>we just have started discussing a 6bone pilot in the UK academic
>network, and we had a nice presentation from some guys from Denmark
>(Martin Peck i think from telebit....) on their trial and
>implementation work, and the following question came up
>
>if we run multiple 6bone pilots with global connectivity, with
>multiple ipv4 legacy paths between them, can we _choose_ ingress and
>efgress to ipv4 and ipv6 clouds (i.e. is anyone doing BGP+ or BGP5 or
>whatever, path preference paramaters that allow an IPv4 net to export
>route choices that reflect IPv6 source and sink cloud
>requirements....?

Don't think we have other than static routes, RIPng and IDRPv6 between
various sites at this time.  I believe we are waiting on the outcome of the
Katz/Haskin et al BGP4 v6 extensions versus IDRPv6 discussions before BGP
comes into real use.

As far as ingress/egress to the existing 6bone, my opinion is that you
should connect as a "core backbone" site and establish connectivity and
peering with other backbone sites as you think it makes sense (it is all
still v6 over v4 tunnels).  That is, at the moment, choice of interconnect
is pretty wide open.  I have included my newest diagram of the 6bone which
may be of use to you:

	http://www-6bone.lbl.gov/6bone/6bone-newdrawing.GIF

>sorry if that isn't a clear expression of the requirement, but
>i'm not up to speed on SIP stuff....

Hope you guys hook up - it will be a great addition to the 6bone testbed!

Thanks,

Bob