a new 6bone diagram

Bob Fink LBNL RLFink@lbl.gov
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 09:43:27 -0800

I've finished my draft attempt at a new 6bone diagram.  But before you rush
off to look, let me tell you what the rationale for it is.

I've recognized that this is a "sales" diagram as much as it is useful
info.  But there is a limit on what I can and should represent with it.  So
I have chosen to show only a primary connection from a site to the 6bone.
Thus in some (many) cases I've had to guess what a sites primary path is,
and you will need to help me get it right.  At least this way the site gets
to appear on a diagram and I can rationally draw it!

Also, I've attempted to start the topology discussion by using Alain
Durand's three level hierarchy to express the topology:  core backbone
routers, second tier transit routers and leaf routers (for node sites not
doing transit).

Last, I've specifically NOT shown interconnectivity of the "core backbone
routers" as it changes, is too messy to draw, and doesn't tell people what
they need to know.

So for what it's worth, here it is.

	http://www-6bone.lbl.gov/6bone/6bone-newdrawing.GIF

After a few days of comments, and we decide to use it, I'll add in the hot
buttons to the RIPE-NCC entries on the names, and replace the current (now
out of date) diagram on the 6bone web pages.

So...please look and comment.

Thanks,

Bob