6bone diagram changes

Philip Blundell pjb27@cam.ac.uk
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:49:24 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Bill Manning wrote:

> 	I will note that I will not delegate any of the IPv6 entry points
> 	under the JANET/UKERNA ASNs until they come up with some guidelines
> 	on how to do sub-delegations to member universities.
>
> 	This may impact some of the activities of UK insitutions since you
> 	can't use the JANET/UKERNA ASN in formulating your IPv6 high order bits.

A while ago it was suggested that it might be a good idea for us to avoid
the JANET ASN for the time being, and use some other scheme to devise
addresses.  At the time I think the idea was to make routing easier at
IFB, but it might solve some political problems as well.

If nothing else, we could probably invent some fictitious ASN for the
purposes of the 6bone, or persuade somebody in the UK with a non-JANET ASN
(like IFB or UUNET) to delegate sub-prefixes to JANET sites.

phil