6bone sites registered

Bob Fink LBNL RLFink@lbl.gov
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 15:40:46 -0700

6bone folk,

The following 6bone sites are already registered in the RIPE-NCC 6bone
Registry:

  CISCO
  ESNET
  FAUERN
  G6
  JOGUNET
  JOIN
  NAS
  NETLAG
  RIPE-NCC
  SICS
  UNH
  UNI-C

As has been discussed, it is best when everyone is registered so we can
have necessary info for operation of the 6bone.  Ran Atkinson has suggested
that we soon move to a mode where we don't put as site on the map unless
you it is registered.

So...I would like to propose that the following 6bone sites register over
the next month or so, then we agree on a cutoff and follow the no registry,
no visibility rule (I think 1 December is a reasonable time frame).

  Bay
  DEC
  FNAL
  Inner
  KEK
  Merit
  NIST
  NRL
  Telebit
  Sun
  UCLA
  ULisboa
  UOregon
  WIDE/JP

Also, can someone suggest a consistent rule for the tunnel entry in the
database.  Some have both ends, some just the far end, some just one
tunnel, some many, some include names as well as ip address, etc.  We need
some consistency.  I'm sure others have similar frustrations and opinions
about other fields in the registry entry as well.

So, if we are going to try to move to a "must register" rule, we should
probably get clearer than we are now as to what must be there and what the
format is.  This will be very important as this gets bigger and we try to
do automatic things (like maps and testing) with the data.

Comments any and all!

Thanks,

Bob