[6bone] Cisco IPv6 configuration issues

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue May 9 13:22:00 PDT 2006

On 4-mei-2006, at 15:24, John Fraizer wrote:

> No.  I haven't tried point-to-point.  I need to set up 3000
> individual PVCs
> like I need another hold in my head. ;)  I know that ATM over LANE
> works.  It
> just doesn't work right with Cisco gear - unless someone knows
> something I don't.

IPv6 over LANE, you mean?

Sounds to me like once in a while, the router sees an unexpected
neighbor discovery packet with its own address in it, which I
speculate could be caused by the broadcast server doing some of its
emulation magic. It would be useful to tcpdump this to see what's
going on...

In the mean time, a practical suggestion: if this only happens for
the global address, and all of this is between a bunch of routers,
why not forego the global addresses on the LANE cloud and just use
link locals? IPv6 routers are smart enough to borrow a global address
from another interface when required and routing protocols only deal
with link local next hop addresses anyway.