[6bone] A list of 3FFEs still in the routing tables

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Mon Jun 12 13:50:37 PDT 2006

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 03:31:40PM -0400, Ken Raeburn wrote:
> As far as I can tell, we at MIT (AS 3) have stopped advertising 3ffe:
> 1ce1::/32 as of a few days ago (not 6/6/6, but soon after).  Just to
> be sure, I took down our end of our old 6bone tunnel to MCI and the
> BGP association about nine hours ago, in case they're still accepting
> and passing 6bone routes and I'm misreading my config file.  Yet the
> looking glass at sixxs is still showing me it's receiving a path via
> Hurricane Electric and MCI (and a bunch of sites in between),
> directly from HE and via other sites.

Chances are that this is a so-called "ghost route" - the originator has
withdrawn it, but somewhere on the path, there's a buggy BGP speaker
that has removed it from its own tables, but omitted to actually send
out the withdrawal.

Nobody currently seems to really *know* what's triggering it, which is
why it's sort of hard to make the offending vendor fix it.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  92315

SpaceNet AG                    Mail: netmaster at Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14      Tel : +49-89-32356-0
D- 80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-234