[6bone] Network Address translation question

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Wed Jun 22 05:51:57 PDT 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Stig Venaas wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 02:18:27PM +0200, Mohacsi Janos wrote:

>>> The trouble is that there is no clear way to force the use of internal
>>> addresses for internal stuff and external addresses for external stuff.
>>

>> This is easier, if you setup RFC3484 style address selection. You give
>> higher priority to your local addresses.
>
> I also think that for multicast you would by default end up using
> longest matching prefix (rule 8 in 3484) which leads to ULA being
> preferred to other global addresses. And due to RPF the multicast
> packets would never leave the site.

Ooops this can be a problem.

> One should probably also define labels so that ULA is used as
> source for multicast scope <= 5 or <= 8 while global for others. Or
> simply never use ULA as source for multicast.

The 5 or 8 seems to be artifical... More general solutions would be
nice...

> I'm wondering a bit how many systems support full 3484 allowing you
> to modify the policy table. Another issue is how a manager can
> configure this on hosts. One option is DHCP as proposed in
> draft-fujisaki-dhc-addr-select-opt-00.txt

I think pretty large number of hosts potentially can support RFC3484.
Windows XP/2003 fully supports it. All *BSD systems also fully supports
it. There is some kind of preliminary support in Linux....

I was thinking of having something similar - I will look at the
draft of fujisaki.

Regards,
 	Janos Mohacsi