[6bone] Network Address translation question

Stig Venaas Stig.Venaas at uninett.no
Wed Jun 22 05:36:02 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 02:18:27PM +0200, Mohacsi Janos wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
>
> >On 13-jun-2005, at 11:09, Tim Chown wrote:
> >
> >>With IPv6, you can run ULAs and globals side by side, if you wish, though
> >>this hasn't exactly been widely tested as yet, as far as I'm aware.
> >
> >The trouble is that there is no clear way to force the use of internal
> >addresses for internal stuff and external addresses for external stuff.
>

> This is easier, if you setup RFC3484 style address selection. You give
> higher priority to your local addresses.

I also think that for multicast you would by default end up using
longest matching prefix (rule 8 in 3484) which leads to ULA being
preferred to other global addresses. And due to RPF the multicast
packets would never leave the site.

One should probably also define labels so that ULA is used as
source for multicast scope <= 5 or <= 8 while global for others. Or
simply never use ULA as source for multicast.

I'm wondering a bit how many systems support full 3484 allowing you
to modify the policy table. Another issue is how a manager can
configure this on hosts. One option is DHCP as proposed in
draft-fujisaki-dhc-addr-select-opt-00.txt

Stig