[6bone] .int / .arpa

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Mon Feb 21 17:53:33 PST 2005

Gert Doering wrote:
> And *this* is why ip6.int should be have been switched off at the root,
> one year ago.  Not even a "big bang", more a "slight puff", and then
> people get to finally upgrade their broken software.

I agree with Gert. I am seeing significant slowdowns with initiating
v6-connections as well due to the DNS issues (int/arpa and
bitstring/nibble). In my opinion, the situation would not get (much)
worse if ip6.int and bitstrings stopped working today. If something
seems to almost work, people rarely touch it. But if it (= ip6.int and
bitstrings) break completely, the fixes could be in software a lot
faster. The change will hit harder the later it is made.

Maybe a heads-up warning is in order beforehands, but the time from the
warning to the time the big switch is hit should not need to be more
than a few months at maximum..

   Tapio