[6bone] .int / .arpa

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sun Feb 20 07:44:36 PST 2005

On 20-feb-05, at 14:34, Gert Doering wrote:

>> Then to think someone who will remain nameless to protect the guilty
>> wanted to obsolete ip6.int last year, less than a year after the
>> publication of RFC 3596...

> It's the only logical thing to deprecate ip6.int FAST.

No, the only logical thing is when you choose to do something under
ip6.int, is to stick with it and not move to ip6.arpa for purely
cosmetic reasons. But that boat has sailed two years ago.

> Maintenance of two DNS hierarchies with mostly identical content (but
> not
> fully so, think of delegations of zones where the destination server
> only
> carries ip6.arpa) poses quite some burden on the DNS ops - and hardly
> serves any purpose.

I have a very hard time believing that both are true. If nobody uses it
anymore, then keeping existing ip6.int stuff around is 0 work, so
that's certainly the easiest option. If people actually use it, then
yes, it is a burden, but apparently it serves a purpose. In this case
too, it would be better to keep ip6.int.

BTW, anyone know if bitlabels were ever delegated under ip6.arpa? It
doesn't look like they are now, but they may have been in the past
and/or I'm asking the roots for it in the wrong way.