[6bone] Request: two 6bone pTLAs

Bob Fink bob at thefinks.com
Wed May 12 08:17:14 PDT 2004

6bone Folk,

At 02:08 AM 5/12/2004, Pekka Savola wrote:
>On Sun, 9 May 2004, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> > Even though new pTLAs aren't supposed to be given out anymore, I think
> > this is a very useful experiment that fits well with the purpose of the
> > 6bone, so an exception would be in order. Also, since the 6bone will be
> > shut down in two years, this is the perfect opportunity to experiment
> > with WKAs in IPv6 without having to fear long-lasting ill effects.
>
>I have to oppose this for the simple logic:
>  1) we want to kill 6bone as soon as possible
>  2) for these prefixes to be useful, they have to implemented
>  3) withdrawing implementations takes a long time.
>
>So, giving out 6bone pTLAs would probably just lead to continuation of
>the 6bone mess.
>
>There is already a better process in place for something like this --
>for example the experimental allocations:
>http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6policy.html#experiment-assignments

I agree with Pekka. Also, given the process already gone through to draw up
a 6bone community accepted phaseout plan, which was strongly supported by
the IETF community with the approval of RFC 3701, no new 6bone 3FFE pTLA's
can be allocated. I've enclosed the relevant part of RFC 3701 here:

>2.  6bone Phaseout Plan
>
>    To provide for the continuing useful operation of the 6bone, to the
>    extent that IETF consensus judges it to be useful, 6bone top level
>    address prefixes known as pseudo TLA's (pTLAs) MAY continue to be
>    allocated until January 1, 2004.
>
>    Thus after the pTLA allocation cutoff date January 1, 2004, it is
>    REQUIRED that no new 6bone 3FFE pTLAs be allocated.
>
>    To provide for sufficient planning time for 6bone participants to
>    convert to production IPv6 address prefixes, all 6bone prefixes
>    allocated by the cutoff time specified above, except for allocations
>    withdrawn as a matter of 6bone operating procedures, SHALL remain
>    valid until June 6, 2006.
>
>    Thus after the 6bone phaseout date June 6, 2006, it is the intent
>    that no 6bone 3FFE prefixes, of any size/length, be used on the
>    Internet in any form.  Network operators may filter 3FFE prefixes on
>    their borders to ensure these prefixes are not misused.
>

>Fink & Hinden                Informational                      [Page 3]
>
>RFC 3701                  6bone Phaseout Plan                 March 2004
>

>    It should be noted that this RFC does not intend to imply that a
>    6bone prefix holder, whether at the pTLA top level or lower, should
>    seek a production IPv6 address prefix at any specific level.  It may
>    be entirely reasonable for a 6bone prefix holder to seek a higher
>    level, or a lower level, IPv6 prefix as their specific needs dictate.

Thanks,

Bob