reverse DNS considered pointless was: [6bone] Fwd: BCP 80, RFC 3681 on Delegation of E.F.F.3.IP6.ARPA

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 9 05:20:02 PST 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 03:18:10AM +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Those addresses are not meant to be reversed and are meant for
> a short life anyways. Programs doing SSH for instance should
> request the 'static' address of a host when connecting.
> Personally I turn the option of on every box I visit.
> For linux kernels one has the option of not even compiling it
> in and it is off per default fortunatly ;) The privacy
> extensions where meant for workstations and similar setups
> anyways, these don't need reverses. Server boxes and routers
> do though, or are you changing the address of your webserver
> every 10 minutes ? :)

Reverse DNS is commonly - whether rightly or wrongly - used by mail
servers before accepting email from a client.    Unless you VPN back to
your home network, or use ssh to a Linux box for a mail client, you'll
want to use some local mail server.   Turning off rfc3041 might not
be possible.

> There should be a document, which probably needs to be created as
> I haven't seen one yet, defining how to make this all work, nice job
> for the IETF v6ops group. A nice scenario on what to delegate to end
> users and how endusers can easily populate it.

There is a draft by Alain Durand I recall, at least on the issue of reverse
DNS and synthesis.  I think that one expired but some of the issues are in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues-04.txt
under section 7.

Tim