[6bone] non-global address space for IXs (was: 2001:478:: as /48)

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 17:35:37 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 03:07:02PM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > > address space is not globally routed, it breaks PMTU-Disc, traceroute,
> > > etc.
> > It does nothing of this, *unless* you're also doing reverse-path filtering
> > on your external links
>
> Even if you do not filter incoming unsollicited ICMP, many networks filter
> incoming RFC 1918 packets and therefore you will lose the PMTU messages.

Uh?  Who's talking IPv4 and RFC1918 here?

> > It breaks pinging / tracerouting *to* a specific router on its IXP
> > address, indeed, but not *through* the router, which is by far the
> > most common usage.
>
> It does break traceroute through the router. If two routers on the path use the same RFC 1918 address, imagine the difficulty of interpreting that traceroute output? Or of comparing two traceroutes?

Who's talking RFC1918?  Who's talking non-unique addresses?

We're talking about IXPs using globally unique address that just happen to
be not visible in the routing table everywhere.  That's a slight
difference.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  55575  (56535)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299