[6bone] non-global address space for IXs (was: 2001:478:: as /48)

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 11:06:31 -0700 (PDT)

% While this all very nice, I just can't understand why people can't just
% use the official way: go to your local registry, get a IXP prefix.
%
% Seems to work quite well, *even* in ARIN land (ARIN having assigned
% about 10 IXP prefixes so far, while all the registries in total have
% assigned 52 IXP prefixes).
%
% Are you trying to sabotage the global IPv6 policy?  Or trying to prove
% something?  If yes, what is it?
%
% Gert Doering

	People can go to their RIR. Several do.  I think that this
	is a great idea.  It doesn't work for some and for those,
	EP.NET provides a choice.  In either case, neither EP.NET
	nor the RIRs are "sabotaging" (interesting choice of words)
	any "global" (now that is even more interesting... I know
	of a couple of recommedations that are either regional or
	segment specific, but nothing that remotely resembles a truly
	global) policy when they each publish a specific list of TLAs that
	are expected to have different characteristics wrt the
	routing system.

	RIRs don't make assertions wrt routablity for any delegations
	they make.  EP.NET does not make assertions wrt routability
	for any delegations it makes.  Each ISP must make those choices
	for themselves as to which prefixes they will or will not carry.

	The -ONLY- statement made by EP.NET was that -IF- anyone was
	to see an entry for 2001:0478 that was smaller than a /48, e.g.
	a /35 or /32, that such an annoucement was in error.

	Neither you, nor your other nay-sayers is required to listen
	to any prefix announcements that you don't like.  But I do
	object to you telling me and everyone else on this list  how
	we are to use the space that was delegated for just this purpose. :)

--bill