[6bone] 2001:478:: as /48

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:24:49 +0200

John Fraizer [mailto:nsp-security@enterzone.net] wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Pekka Savola wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, John Fraizer wrote:
> > > How about because there was at least ONE v6 exchange point in the US
> > > running on address space from 2001:478:: BEFORE ARIN decided to to make
> > > use of 2001:504:: for this purpose.

The AMS-IX was way before you, they already renumbered their IPv6
prefix a couple of times. If they can, so can you.

> > Renumber.  It's trivial to set up identical BGP sessions with the new
> > addresses and retire the old when your peer configures the BGP session in
> > turn.  After all have done that, remove the old prefix.
> >

> How about this.  I (and the other participants at the
> exchanges that use 2001:478LL) won't renumber.

Ah... american mentality all over again :)

But nobody demands that you do, but I do think that you should
not be suddenly yelling around the world that your TLA is
"special". It's a normal TLA and if you want any parts of
it to be reachable for sure then announce the /32. Don't
require ISP's to explicitly receive your /48's.

The prefix is from EP.NET and they all come from ASN 4555.
Let them handle the traffic if you as a user of that network
wants to receive traffic back and forth.

This is just another feeble attempt to be special, which you are not.

If you want the 'status' of an IX, then renumber, you will
be an IX and you won't be reachable either as nobody announces
the /32, and if somebody does it is plain hijacking.

> You can filter the /48's if it makes you
> happy.  I don't care.  You can whine and bitch till the end
> of time and it isn't going to convince me that we should do ANYTHING.
>  As Bill has pointed out, the use of 2001:478:: in IX's _PRE-DATES_
> any of the "micro-allocations" for exchange point use from the RIRs.
>
> Don't like it? Too bad.  You can't change history.

But fortunatly we can change the future :)

Greets,
 Jeroen